Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sharks, Sharks & Sharks

Not only did I see my first shark, but that sighting was followed the next day by a second and then shall we say a partial third.
The Indians are a series of large rough rocks just east of Norman Island, with some of the best snorkeling in the BVI's.  While snorkelling there, I was busy snapping pics of the little fish when a 4-5 ft shark over took me from behind and swam about 5 ft under me. I had no time to either panic ( which I thought I would ) or snap a pic before he was gone.
The following day in just off the north side of Norman Island , outside a beautiful calm anchorage in Benures Bay. I spotted my second shark. He was in 15 ft of water , at least 10 ft long and havin' a snooze on the bottom. His size caused a few heart palpitations, but when he didn't move I calmed down long enough to grab Gord and frantically point. We kind of edged away slowly and kept a good eye on our path of retreat, just in case.   ***Watch the next post for Gord's account of his unmasking****
Now, what enemies do sharks have? Or, what eats a shark ( besides man of course)  In Great Harbour on Peter Island I spotted a shark head and several long ft of what used to be the rest of him. The snout, with eyes was very large, so I deduced that at some point he was a very big fella. So, what got him?  I was not sticking around to be the next meal . I high tailed it out of there.  I tried to get a pic, but the water that day was stirred up and they didn't turn out. Shall I venture back and try again?  Would You?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sailboat owners Gord and Sue aboard their 55' Whitby Ketch "Ocean Wings" share their adventures and travels as they start their retirement, living their dream of seeing the world from oceanside.
Ocean Wings is a recent purchase and our first foray into the Sailing Lifestyle. We're excited and a little scared. Join us in our adventure.